View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 12:57 AM   #276
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Did Picard make the right decision with the Son'a/Baku

horatio83 wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
And you're operating under the false assumption that the Federation was doing -anything- to stop this. Picard, Sisko and Necheyev all said they're on the Cardassian side of the DMZ, they're on their own when pressed on the issue. When Sisko asked Husdon about taking it to the Cardassian authorities..

HUDSON (overlapping) Enforcing the laws? The Cardassian "authorities" were part of a mob that stoned two of our colonists on the streets of Ropal City three days ago...
So don't tell me the Cardassians were interested in peace. They weren't. Before the treaty was even negotiated they tried to seize Minos Korva. Even after it they'd attack Federation ships(like in the Chase) when convenient. They routinely terrorized the colonists, and were arming for a new conflict with the Federation.

The Federation went after the wrong people all in the name of peace with the Cardassians. Which yeah... that worked out real well. The Cardassians only instigated the largest war in the history of the Federation a few years later.
Ah, you finally you made your point, the war should continue. Given that this implies the suffering of perhaps hundred or thousands times more people I am against it. The little that was implied in TNG made it crystal clear that this was one of the most devastating conflicts in recent Federation history.
I never said it -should- continue, you're putting words in my mouth there, please don't. I'd say it -is- continuing, courtesy of the Cardassians. Heck, they bombed an entire Federation colony in Ensign Ro. The Cardassians repeatedly demonstrated an opportunistic behavior regarding the Federation, attacking their colonies, their starships and outposts whenever tactically convenient. So "hundreds or thousands" of casualties were already happening.

As for little being implied in TNG? Well being it ended in season 2 of DS9, you can't expect them to have covered the Dominion arc. When I said they instigated the largest war in Federation history a few years -later- I wasn't talking about the past conflict, but the Dominion one. Again, the Cardassians broke the treaty when convenient. Great peace treaty eh? It's historical fact you have to have both parties interested in peace for it to work. Not just one.