View Single Post
Old April 29 2013, 04:33 PM   #312
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I found that I did end up enjoying the pilot by the time it was over - but I forgot to catch episode 2, and feel strangely unbothered.
Episode 2 was a lot better than the pilot, I felt.

I think the reliance on having to be familiar with the other media bits is really the "why bother" dealbreaker for me...
You don't have to be. Each piece of the franchise is designed to be able to stand on its own and appeal to its own distinct audience. The interconnections are just a bonus. Like Doctor Who, Torchwood, and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

For instance, in the pilot episode, there were just a couple of throwaway lines that connected to the game. Nolan saying "Do you know what we went through to get that?" about the blue crystal he had at the start was a reference to the introductory adventure in the game (in which your player character retrieves the crystal and then Nolan comes in afterward and steals it), and Amanda's speech referenced a past attack by "Ninety-Niners," which are a bad-guy faction in the game. Just Easter eggs that aren't significant to the real story in any way.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote