Old April 29 2013, 03:27 PM   #2154
Garrovick
Commander

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Currently reading:
Mudd In Your Eye (TOS #81) by Jerry Oltion
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Spectre by William Shatner and Gar & Judith Reeves-Stephens
Metamorphoses by Ovid (it's been a slog but I am determined to get through it)
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Over the last week, I finished:
Shell Game (TOS #63) by Melissa Crandall
The Starship Trap (TOS #64) by Mel Gilden
Grounded (TNG #25) by David Bischoff
Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman
New Earth #2: Belle Terre (TOS #90) by Dean Wesley Smith
Day of Honor #1: Ancient Blood by Diane Carey
Love's Labour Lost by William Shakespeare
Legacy: Forgotten Son by Warren Murphy and Gerald Welch

I've had Mudd In Your Eye in my to-read stack for a while now, and I am happy that it's finally managed to work its way to the top. I've always thought Harry Mudd was a great character and I have been somewhat surprised that he hasn't shown up more in TrekLit over the years. The only other Mudd story I can think of besides adaptations of the episodes of TOS and TAS he appeared in was The Business, as Usual, during Altercations from the Mudd's Angels collection by James Blish and J.A. Lawrence. I always loved that story - it actually was, I believe, the very first non-adaptation Trek story I ever read. It's pretty goofy but fun nevertheless. (I know Harry has appeared a number of times in comics also.)

Shell Game was excellent, a nice little ghost story which managed to keep the true "villain's" identity secret until well into the story.

I mentioned my thoughts on Kahless a bit last time I posted in this thread - I think the book could have been better with a lot more focus on the "Heroic Age" sections and much less of the story with Picard and Worf, which was rather dull and pointless. I know they were trying to tie the memories of the Kahless Clone seen in TNG with the historical Kahless but it could have been done better - perhaps a framing story similar to that which was done for The Final Reflection would have worked better.

In a somewhat similar vein, I found the parts of Ancient Blood that focused on Picard and Alexander much more interesting than those focusing on Worf. I was rather surprised that Diane Carey
, but I think it worked out OK in the end. Again, though, the Worf story was rather boring and predictable.