View Single Post
Old April 29 2013, 12:50 AM   #74
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: A New Star Trek Show Will Need a Stronger Focus on Characterizatio

horatio83 wrote: View Post
So you do indeed live in another universe. In THIS universe there are no Sulu episodes.
What is this, grade school stuff?

There are a few character moments but they don't amount to even roughly sketching out this character ... which is less than Mayweather got.
Which goes back to what I've said about Mayweather not really being much of a character. He has a background that was touched upon in a couple of episodes, but that was it. It was even downplayed fairly quickly in the series, with T'Pol becoming the most experienced space traveler on the ship. As originally written, that was Mayweather's angle. He also was supposed to be best friends with Tucker, something that was also dropped by the wayside.
By the way, my point is not that Mayweather is a better character just because he has more screen time and a better character setup.
That has been my point all along. It doesn't matter if you have more screen time and a better character set up if most of your lines are "Yes, sir" and "Aye, sir."
It shouldn't be that hard to separate facts and opinions, not even when you have strong opinions and loathe e.g. all the characters on a show.
That's actually what I've been thinking.