View Single Post
Old April 29 2013, 12:49 AM   #110
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
Right thank you. I am mostly talking about the raw fruits though when it comes to softness. I love oatmeal and can cook it soft and I love adding real apples to it - mixed with cinnamon. But not everyone can eat that in my family. I like the pumpkin oatmeal because its high in Vitamin A something important to have in my case, I don't want my vision to get worse and its soft. Plus my folks love pumpkin pie so I can trick them into eating something healthy.
I understand what you mean, Kenbushway. I take care of my mother, who is in a hospital bed at home. She only has upper dentures, so meal planning can be difficult. Often, I will fix two meals, which is physically and mentally exhausting.

Over the past year or so, I have been eating more healthy and bringing Mom with me... kicking and screaming. Although from Ohio, she is a Southern cook by nature... she wants butter on, and in, everything! She is the only human I know who would slice a doughnut in half and lavish butter on each half!

I have learned to make some of Mom's favorite dishes much more healthy. Sugar-free syrup or applesauce or Truvia (stevia plant natural sweetner) are healthier substitutes for sugar, sugar syrup, etc. Applesauce instead of sugar also makes cakes more moist, as well as, healthier.

I use Cavender's Greek Seasoning (Salt-free, of course) as a salt replacement and all around seasoning. This has lowered our sodium intake considerably.