View Single Post
Old April 28 2013, 11:42 PM   #19
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Let's get back to Roddenberry's trek

horatio83 wrote: View Post
I am not so sure. Given that he didn't like Meyer he seemed to be very dogmatic about certain things but then again many people who worked with him also claim that he was easy-going. As I know virtually nothing about his biography I cannot speak for the man in the grave.
A lot of things have been said about Roddenberry and by Roddenberry that combined ultimately just makes him a regular human being with flaws and personal issues just like the rest of us. A lot of Roddenberry's problems with certain aspects of Trek were a result of disagreements with network/studio execs, in which he sometimes painted them as the villain in various interviews.
Not that it matters what he would have thought. What matters are his ideas and not his hypothetical opinions, what matters is that the rough parameters he set up are respected and IMO DS9 did this even in its darkest hours.
Some people tend to put Roddenberry on a pedestal, others like to knock him off it.

But I do think Roddenberry's true vision of Trek is just an exciting future time in which humanity is united and out there among the stars together--that one day, people won't be judged by their skin color, gender, etc. All the other stuff is kind of window-dressing and I think it's easy to get lost in that.