View Single Post
Old April 28 2013, 11:57 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
Re: Let's get back to Roddenberry's trek

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Yep, DS9 was less under his control and ignored some Roddenberry dogmas for the better.
If you really look at DS9, though, it too fits with Roddenberry's idea of a future where a diverse group of people come together for a common goal. Roddenberry established TNG with a "conflict mostly from beyond" philosophy, but in a sense, DS9 adopted this too with the Dominion War with Sisko and the gang eventually becoming something of a tight-knit family. With TNG, it was pretty much there from the start but the DS9 crew had to work to get there.
But I don't view it as something totally different, Sisko did let Garak kill a Romulan senator but he said no to S31.
It was a moral dilemma that I think Roddenberry would actually have approved--To commit wrongs to do something right? Do the means justify the end? Sisko said it best that "it's easy to be a saint in paradise," but there was no paradise to be found right then and there.

SISKO: People are dying out there, every day! Entire worlds are struggling for their freedom. And here I am, still worrying about the finer points of morality...
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote