View Single Post
Old April 28 2013, 11:53 AM   #35
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Didn't DS9 start with an explicit TNG connection? And didn't it feature recurring TNG characters in its episodes as well as two TNG characters as a part of its cast? Didn't First Contact feature an explicit connection to DS9? ... etc.

Plus, DS9 dialogue repeatedly referenced TNG ("Picard never hit me" - "I'm not Picard"; and Worf's incredible homage while talking to O'Brien, "We were like warriors from the ancient sagas. There was nothing we could not do it will not be the same those were good years.)
"Except keep the holodecks working."

But to answer the OP's question, I would say No, but it all depends on what you mean by 'true'. Sure it was nice to get the little referrences to previous shows, but isn't that just about using your history, i.e. In the RN, Admiral Lord Nelson is still held in high regard by todays members of the RN. Is that any different from the likes of Sisko, Janeway etc.. looking back at the exploits of Kirk.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote