View Single Post
Old April 28 2013, 11:53 AM   #22
The Doctor
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

While the film isn't quite what I expected (the Extremis soldiers and the Mandarin twist primarily), I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot more in repeat viewings once I accept what the film for the story it told, and not for the story I thought it would tell. All that aside, I nonetheless loved the twist in regards to the Mandarin and I know a lot of hard core fans are going to be pissed (kind of how I felt with all of the Spider-Man films).

Lots of great humor, character building (great character study for post-Avengers Tony), action sequences, great use of the entire cast (from Paltrow and Cheadle to Pearce and Kingsley as well as the unexpected appearance of James Badge Dale), and unexpected turns in the story. The Extremis soldiers aside, about the only thing that really bugged me about the film was the absence of Harley's mother. Where was she? Surely she was concerned that her son was hanging out with someone who could put her child in danger. A minor, but persistent quibble.

The falling passengers sequence was incredibly intense and I expected only four people would survive (despite what the trailers had us believing), although I'm sure the way survived wasn't actually possible. But who cares? This is a film about a guy who fights and flies around in an armor suit.

Edit: I loved the post-credits scene with Mark Ruffalo reprising his role as Bruce Banner, especially considering I expected Tony talking to an annoyed Nick Fury. Speaking of which, I was surprised Samuel L. Jackson didn't make an appearance. While from a story standpoint, it's better for the film not feature Fury, this is the first Avengers-verse film not to feature Jackson (aside from The Incredible Hulk which does and doesn't count).
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote