View Single Post
Old April 28 2013, 02:34 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Um, we're talking about a guy who makes movies, not the guy in charge of the studio/network/publishing house. Abrams making Star Trek and Star Wars is not going to turn him into Rupert Murdoch.
Um, same difference, same principles at play, therefore it is an error on your part to try and minimalize things in order to invalidate or disprove my thesis because it doesn't. I went from big picture to small, but going from small to big works just as well in the making of my point.

My point has not been about Abrams being on par with a Rupert Murdoch or Studio Chief or CEO of a media conglom. It is about his bringing the same POV, perspective, tastes, sensibilities, back-of-tricks to two members of the same genre. It is about his being a footsoldier in the army of an industry that is forever looking to reduce things to a formula by which to homogenize.

Sadly, it is one of those things that if a person (or persons)can't grasp or forsee the magnitude or danger of then it is hard to educate them into at least understanding the concepts and ideas being discussed.
I get what you're trying to say. I just don't buy it. Star Trek and Star Wars aren't that far apart in the first place. That said, Abrams is smart enough and talented enough to put forward the things that are different.

When people start using loaded terms like "footsoldier", "the magnitude or danger" and "educate" in reference to what is basically entertainment I have to laugh at the seriousness and hyperbole of it all. Especially when they are in "talk down to mode".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote