View Single Post
Old April 28 2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: The State of Star Trek Literature 2013

1. How do you feel the Trek book line has done in the last 12-15 months?

To my mind, Treklit over the last 12 months has been in truly great shape until very recently. I've been one of the ones whining for less TOS novels. Now we are getting so many it's ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if there was some sort of continuity in just some of the TOS novels like there was in Vanguard, but there isn't, they're all pretty pointless standalones.

That doesn't stop some of them being good stories (but many aren't) but I'd like some movie era TOS too. Limiting standalone TOS to two or three a year would make me happy.

2. More specifically, what have you liked in regards to the entire Trek book line in that time? What were your three favorite Trek novels in that time and why?

I utterly loved the David Mack TNG trilogy and DRGIII's DS9 duology - all are amongst the top few percent of Treklit for me.

3. Now, what did you disliked regarding to the Trek book line of the last year or so? What were your three least favorite or disappointing books and why?

Back to the TOS standalones for this one. I'd not miss Titan either.

Each Voyager novel gets progressively less impressive. It has now reached the point where The Eternal Tide was only 'damned good'.

4. What new recurring trends or themes in the last 12-15 months have you picked up on?

Pass.

5. What editorial decisions from the last 12-15 months have you like? Disliked?

The way that Indistinguishable From Magic got dumped from continuity - especially when it had already been referenced elsewhere. Shoddy editorial decision.

Discovering that KRAD can't get a Trek contract thesedays.

6. What would you change in the Trek book line? Everything? Nothing? Be it production choices (artwork, type of book) or story editorial decisions?

A) Bring back KRAD and McKintee.

B) More DS9.

C) A follow up to 'Articles of the Federation'.

D) Less standalone TOS novels, making way for :

E) A new interconnected TOS line picking up after Vanguard featuring some combination of the Vanguard survivors, the TOS crew and any earlier/later characters that could conceivably be alive in the 23rd Century.