View Single Post
Old April 27 2013, 10:11 PM   #96
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post

The one pet peeve of mine, and I started seeing this in the mid 90's is the misappropriation of rouge for "rogue.", as in a rouge agent. I originally thought it was a misspelling, and maybe it still is, but I do see it very often and I find it annoying as I'm French-Canadian and know my French pretty well. Rouge = Red. If someone is "red", they're either red in the face, and if literally an agent wearing red, well, they'd stand out a bit much and not be very covert They might as well be a painted target. In French, rouge can also mean "lipstick".
Can't say I've ever come across that particualr misspelling, if I saw the word rouge I would think of the colour red. And It's been a long time since I learned a little French. Rogue and Rouge are two different words.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote