View Single Post
Old April 27 2013, 07:49 PM   #169
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

^^ I'm not sure I'm able to follow. They didn't do extension work on the set after Season One? Maybe it's just the wall panels that are different?

But the last screencap with the actor position markers on the floor is a great find (unless these are candy wrappers left by the delegates...).

Primary / Saucer Hull Cutaway (Version 1.00 / 130426)

Before going for the alternate version of Deck 5 I thought it would be best to handle Decks 3 and 4 at the same time to make sure there’s a good match (of the ladders etc.).

I wasn’t sure about the actual deck floor space up there so I used the opportunity to address an elephant in the room, i.e. the actual deck heights in the saucer.

According to The Making of Star Trek (and I think it’s fair to assume these numbers came from its creator Walter Matt Jefferies) the saucer had 11 decks. And the Klingon projectile impacts in “Errand of Mercy” – hitting the lower underside of the saucer – were commented by Spock as “blast damage in Decks 10 and 11, minor buckling in the antimatter pods”. Thus it seems to be a logical conclusion, that the lowest deck in the saucer is Deck 11.

Deck 2: However, The Making of Star Trek fails to mention whether the pilot version of the Enterprise or the redesigned version for the series had 11 decks. The pilot version (i.e. “The Cage” and “Where No Man Has Gone Before”) had a noticeably higher bridge “tower” that could have accommodated another deck (presumably with the circular conference or recreation lounge room) which was eventually removed.
Now either the pilot version had 12 decks or just 11 decks.

In the latter case the removal of Deck 2 would have reduced the amount of decks to just 10 in total, which is what the cutaway here shows (but remaining decks could have kept their designations). This might also explain why the diagonal turbo shaft comes to a strange halt before the bridge which probably wasn’t necessary prior to the removal.

IMHO, the biggest support for this theory comes from “The Enterprise Incident” and the long turbo lift ride the Romulan Commander and Spock embarked on. It’s not plausible it took them that long to travel from the Bridge to the deck below.

If the Enterprise no longer had a Main Deck 2, the computer understood Spock’s command “Deck 2” as the only other option left: Engineering Deck 2 (in the neck dorsal).

Deck Height: This leaves us with a ceiling height potential of 2.8 meters for Decks 3 through 8. I believe I already stowed away the 3 m “monsters” in the engineering hull (i.e. straight corridor from “Where No Man Has Gone Before”, corridor with detention cell in “Charlie X”), but most assuredly hadn’t planned on that.
2.8 meters is the level on which other decks would probably rest (in real life) on the support beams of the briefing room set. Like in real life I presume the deck floors are rather thin and supported by the enigmatic ceiling panels below.

In the cutaway I assumed Deck 9 also to have a deck height of 2.8 m but as the exterior features reveal you’d require some sets of stairs to get to the airlock or observation windows which doesn’t make a lot of sense.
This deck is probably much lower (according to TMP it is) and that’s good news for the two remaining decks below.

The Phaser Control Room (“Balance of Terror”) on Deck 11 was a redress of the Engineering Control Room set and is approximately just as high. This probably reduces Deck 10 to be merely a level above the room floor behind the Phaser Control Room's wall with the grated window.

Turbo Lift Cars: In some of the depictions I have seen, turbo lifts are higher than wide. Why?
For me it had created the erroneous illusion that it’s a cramped space while in fact the turbo lift car has almost 8’ or 2.4 m in diameter, sufficient to transport a stretcher trolley with a patient to almost any deck of the ship and here is a nice shot that gives us an idea about the space inside.

The height has never really been revealed but I believe it’s fair to assume it’s not that much higher than in the aforementioned shot (and according to TAS).
The turbo lift has both equal length and height, or it may resemble a drum shape. I believe horizontal turbo shafts run above or below the deck corridors, therefore the ceiling support (and artificial gravity?) panels below the decks indicate the maximal height of a turbo lift car, IMHO

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote