View Single Post
Old April 27 2013, 02:32 PM   #290
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

I think if it wasn't for the fact that some of my shows have ended for the season (The Walking Dead) and others are wrapping up in a few weeks, I would have given up on Defiance. However, when these shows are done for the season and my DVR is light on shows, I'll at least have Defiance. Though, I'll have to re-evaluate it after this season. It reminds me of how I felt about Caprica and Stargate: Universe in that I didn't dislike them, I just didn't find anything to love about them, either.

Part of what frustrates me is that I don't know what I want out of the show. It's missing the wit and Whedonism of firefly, the corny/meta humor of Eureka, the nail-biting tension/desperation/post-apocalyptic feel of shows like The Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica, etc.

I want more fleshing out of this world. The pilot hinted at trade agreements with other settlements, but so far we haven't seen any indication of what the town has versus what it lacks. For that matter, what are they eating? With what we've seen of the terraforming, I wouldn't be surprised if our staples were gone/mutated. For instance, salad, can they still grow lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, etc., or is it all alien vegetables? Or, even better, something not quite Earthen, but not quite alien, to reflect the effect of alien terraforming on our land. What about meat? Are they eating hamburgers, pork, etc. or something else?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote