View Single Post
Old April 26 2013, 09:10 PM   #207
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Did Picard make the right decision with the Son'a/Baku

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
I do think that during wartime, Kirk would have been fully justified in taking the dilithium by force if it might have meant the difference between victory and defeat,
Yeah, see I think Kirk wouldn't do that seeing as he isn't a Klingon. That was kind of the freaking point of showing the differences between the two universes in that episode.

See I can figure this because while he wasn't too happy about the Organians not fighting the Klingons he didn't just shove a phaser in their hands and force them to fight the Klingons. He also didn't just beam down to the planet a declare the Federation's intention to build a base there he negotiated with the locals.

which is the situation the UFP was presented with in INS.
No it really wasn't.

You can keep denying that the situation was not an issue of a valuable resource during a time of war, but it's not the case.

Contrast what Sisko did in "in the pale moonlight," where his actions cost millions of Romulan lives to win the war, with the moral absurdities of "Insurrection," where Picard refuses to MOVE 600 people to help win the war.

At any rate, as has been shown in this thread, the Baku are doomed either way. If it's not a Federation planet, then the PD means the Son'a remove the Baku any way, so I don't really see what you're arguing here?

whether the Federation removes the Baku themselves and gets the particles, OR they get them after the Son'a do it, it's an academic distinction.