View Single Post
Old April 26 2013, 09:05 PM   #38
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Re: Batman: Arkham 3

Timby wrote: View Post
AlphaMan wrote: View Post
If Arkham Origins is good, how would you all feel about the annualization of Arkham games? One year Rocksteady does one and the next year, WB Montreal does one?
I think that's a terrible idea and would lead to franchise fatigue and a cycle of endless factory-churned mediocrity, not unlike Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, etc.

Rocksteady spent three years putting together Arkham Asylum, and it began work on Arkham City before Asylum even wrapped. Those games were great because they started with a reason to make the game, that being a good story and a good core design, as opposed to just hitting a bi-annual deadline. If you were to turn Rocksteady (and, assuming Origins is any good, WB Montreal) into Batman factories, you'd see an exodus of talent and the games devolve into crap.
I agree on all counts, but I kind of think this is where they are headed now that another studio is on the franchise. If Arkham Origins is succesful, Rocksteady will do the regular Arkham series next year and WB Montreal will be out with Arkham Origins 2 the year after that.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote