View Single Post
Old April 26 2013, 04:48 AM   #527
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
There was no window.

Tuvix could have made a deal.

"One more month, and then I'll gladly let you murder me."

Remember in the Jaime lee Curtis/Lindsay Lohan Freaky Friday when they tried to switch back into their original bodies by running at each other REALLY fast like angry foot ball players into a violent collision?

That may not have rebuilt Tuvix with the regular Tuvok and Neelix, but what about the Quicksilver Neelix and Tuvok?

...

The problem with my description of a benevolent (Peace Corps) Borg is that that was the TNG Borg. The Borg on Voyager were just a bunch of thug assholes mostly, which is why they kept picking on Voyager. However since they always knew where Voyager was, when ever Janeway said that she had reversed course and hid from the Borg (Which she said they did a lot in Dark Frontier) is hilarious because Voyager was never actually really hiding effectively or at all fro the Borg all the times she thought they were hiding.... Ever played hide and seek with a 3 year old?

Long range transwarp scans from one Cube can map everything in the galaxy and keep track of everything in the galaxy since then can bisect the bastard in a matter of weeks... Just Like Voyager at puny warp speed can scan and chart what's happening a couple weeks in either direction of where it's standing with it's regular subspace scanners because if it couldn't that rickety barge should have been a lot more indecisive.

You know when you want to change the TV channel, but you'd have to stand up, and walk three feet to get the remote, so you say fuck it and just watch whatever the hells on, THAT is why the Borg did not assimilate Voyager.
Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Like I said, the Borg are always a threat. The Collective's entire existence is driven by the threat to assimilate others. It cannot, by definition, be permitted to exist. That's the difference.
They don't assimilate everything, only those of interest to them. Lions are always a threat, too, we don't exterminate them. That is not the point, though. Why are the Borg intrinsically less deserving of survival than Tuvix? Why is separating Seven from the Borg Collective OK, but getting Neelix and Tuvok out of theirs not OK?
This thread has been around for a while. Could someone summarize how we got from the moral dilemma of Tuvix to comparing him to the borg? Somebody just give me the highlights?
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The Borg is a gestalt mind of trillions the Federation allows to persist with the rights of a civilization.

Seven is a gestalt mind of thousands the Federation allows to persist with the rights of an individual.

Tuvix is a gestalt mind of two Janeway insisted on murdering because he has the same rights as a sack of potatoes.
Janeway vs the Borg, in particular Dark Frontier. I wish they'd run with the implication that the Queen suggested in Seven having been allowed to stay with Voyager. It would have played well into Chakotay's Scorpion metaphor had Seven been aware she was a plant. The dramatic possibilities as Seven comes to appreciate her individuality, as well as Voyager carrying the Federation's destruction with them is fantastic. I don't agree with Hartzilla2007's thinking. Those reasons are, of course, ample for why the Borg should be resisted, but it doesn't address why their existence is something to be eradicated by default as was done with Tuvix. Kes wanted Neelix saved from the Tuvix Collective and Janeway did so, just as she took Seven from hers. The needs of the many, Tuvok and Neelix, were greater. A Collective of two or trillions, Janeway is just not one for collectives that she's not queen of.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote