View Single Post
Old April 26 2013, 04:01 AM   #74
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

I did a very healthy and delicious soup tonight.

They had only those jumbo fat asparagus at the market, which really isn't the best for eating -- you really want to get the thinnest, tenderest asparagus spears you can find. But I wanted asparagus, and I like a challenge. I also had some bits about the kitchen and in the freezer that needed using, and soup's the best way to get creative with all those bits. It's spring here, so this is a nice, light, vegetable soup:

1. In a deep pot, saute 1 small white onion in two tablespoons olive oil. Chop the jumbo asparagus spears, a large carrot, 4 celery stalks, 1 small golden potato, 1 small red potato, and a half a bag of baby peas, and 2 chopped tomatoes, and add all to the pot. Saute on high, stirring occasionally, as you add freshly ground black pepper (just a bit, this is supposed to be a mild soup), a dash of sea salt (no more, the bouillon has salt in it), a bunch of turmeric, and a splash of apple cider vinegar.
2. Fill the pot with water and add a heaping tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Chicken base (I swear by this shit, as someone who doesn't cook with meat often but also needs to have a good stock ready for soup whenever -- their vegetable and beef bases are delicious too!). Cook for an hour or so on low heat.

It turned out really amazing. Very light, but still really earthy and hearty. That recipe made me one huge bowl for dinner and 3 quarts for in the fridge. I should get between 4 and 6 more servings out of that depending on whether I eat it as a meal on it's own or have something with it. I can only guesstimate the calories, but I can't imagine the whole pot had more than 700 calories in it!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote