View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 09:06 PM   #294
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I wanted to like this as it seemed to be trying to say something very deep and meaningful about life and religion. Life - the Doctor's speech to Merry about atoms and starstuff. Religion - the Doctor says something to the vampire about "the beautiful things created on the back of your evil". However, as mentioned, the (beautiful) music needed quietening so that we could hear what the characters were saying and the story needed to be less rushed.

I am not in the camp that feels every detail needs to be explained - they could breath on the motorbike; atmosphere/forcefield, it does not matter - that they can is enough. Clara is also not visibly hungry at any point - "but the writers didn't tell us what she had for breakfast! <mockshock>..." This is where alot of people fell down in their watching of Lost - not everything needs to/will be explained.

I too was reminded of Father's Day during Clara's backstory. I'm sure it's due to nothing more than being set in the same era.