View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 06:17 PM   #90
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
What was there to explain exactly? It happened in front of our very eyes. The Doctor just found the right button and he killed the Sycorax leader.
It makes no sense for there to be a random button that makes a random bit of ledge disappear. It's a deus ex machina that has no logical place in the story. It is the sign of a writer feeling they've written enough pages so they just throw in a left-field plot device to finish things up. This happens a lot in Davies scripts. Notably Boomtown and Last of the Time Lords.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Fame, modern day London and the media all sound like contemporary themes to me, i.e. not dated at all. Or is Black Mirror, which deals with those same themes, dated too?
Well, Black Mirror is a show that deconstructs and satirises the media whereas RTD just filled the show with as much celebrity culture as is possible in order to grab ratings. This had the effect of making it date very fast. What was "cool" in 2006, now looks incredibly lame, dated and confused. Your mileage may vary.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote