View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 02:04 PM   #57
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile
Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

I'll second Miss Chicken re SparkRecipes and teacake re a slow cooker. I swear by both.

This week, we are having chicken soup for dinner. I swear these are the ingredients - a package (maybe 2 lbs.?) of boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips; a whole celery, cubed; a small bag of baby carrots; 2 small packets of low-salt chicken broth (be careful with these as they are often salty; we get a kind called Pacific Natural. Pritikin is also low salt, or you can just go with water and maybe a tablespoon of salt but no more); 2 large white onions, cubed small; and water to fill whatever room remains in the slow cooker.

Cook on high for 4 hours.

In the bowl, add maybe a quarter of a cup of cooked starch of some sort. This week, we're using quinoa as we had extra around that we'd frozen. Bulgur, pasta, matzoh, matzoh balls, potato - any of that is fine; then add the soup and, if it's out of the fridge, nuke it on high for maybe a total of 2 1/2 minutes.

With a modest-sized Greek salad (light on the feta), about a quarter cup of fresh fruit and a cup of milk, a tablespoon of homemade no salt guacamole, 2 rice cakes and a pair of Laughing Cow cheese wedges, that's dinner for me.

According to SparkPeople, it works out to -
632 calories
65 grams of carbs
24 grams of fat
47 grams of protein
657.6 milligrams of sodium

It is freakin' enormous, I do not feel deprived and I love it.

I have also lost over 100 pounds since 1997 and kept it off, and I run a dozen 5Ks every year.

Last edited by jespah; April 25 2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add the cheese to the calorie count
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote