View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 01:59 PM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: SPOILER - Other Starship Revealed

The Keeper wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
^Why would they paint a ship intended to be stealthy white? It's faceted shape implies it's able to hide from sensors so doesn't it make sense to visually conceal it as well?

...Wait, you're just teasing again. Right?
No, this time I actually am serious. I didn't know this ship is intended to be a stealth ship. Doesn't being twice the size of the oversized Enterprise work against that? A stealth ship should as small as possible, to better avoid detection. If Starfleet wants to use this behemoth for stealth purposes, wouldn't they just be better off trying to develop cloaking technology? They can, since the movie is set over sixty years before the Treaty of Algeron was signed.
I don't "know" that for sure either. I only sought out one spoiler after the premier () other than that, I remain spoiler free. I was just speculating based on its similar shape to known stealth ships.

I see the point but there could also be a needed intimidation factor here. Maybe a potential enemy has a big ship so they felt the need to go bigger than they did. Again, just speculating here.
Ah well, I just assumed the shape of the ship is intended to look "harsh" as more unsubtle reminder that it's the villain's ship. I have reviewed the spoilers (or rather skimmed, I don't have the attention span to read all that) but saw no indication in the movie that this is meant to be a stealth ship.

And again, the size really works against the idea that it is meant to be stealth. After all, this ship must need a crew of over 1000, and a stealth mission you want a bare minimum of people involved. Even if the majority of the crew were kept ignorant of the fact this is stealth, that just increases the chances of someone screwing up bad enough to risk exposing the ship.

Really, this ship should just be flying a flag saying "Villains aboard."