View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 11:11 AM   #188
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Did Picard make the right decision with the Son'a/Baku

T'Girl wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Ru'afo claimed the Federation was old and weak since it was always fending off attacks from the likes of the Klingons, Borg and now the Dominion. Plus he killed Dougherty and ordered an attack on the Enterprise, I don't think they had any great fear of Starfleet.
Alright DWF, then why did the Sona form a partnership with the Federation?

The Sona knew the location of the planet.
The Sona knew of the medical properties of the particles
The Sona had the technology to do the harvest.

In term of just physically acquiring the particles, the Federation brings nothing to the game. So why did the Sona want them in it? My read is that the Sona were worried about long range retribution from the Federation, so they approached the Federation Council and made them partners.

However, if the Sona had no real fear of the Federation, why include them at all?

Federation support. Federation procedures. Federation rules. Look in the mirror, Admiral. The Federation is old. In the past 24 months, they've been challenged by every major power in the quadrant: the Borg, the Cardassians, the Dominion. They all smell the scent of death on the Federation. That's why you've embraced our offer. Because it will give your dear Federation new life. Well, how badly do you want it, admiral? Because there are hard choices to be made now. If the Enterprise gets the news to the Federation about their brave captain's valiant struggle on behalf of the defenseless Ba'ku, your Federation's politicians will waiver. Your Federation opinion polls will open a public debate. Your Federation allies will want their say. You-- need I go on?
The real question is why did the Federation become partners with the Son'a? The planet is in Federation space but according to Daugherty the Son'a had the technology to make it work and of course in the end the Federation had little knowledge of what was really going on. And in the end the plan was illegal and immoral, hence the reason to hide what they were doing and when push came to shove we learned what the Son'a would do to protect the plan and that meant killing a Federtion admiral and going after the Enterprise.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote