View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 08:28 AM   #68
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Having been a writer and author for much of my life, as well as a substitute English teacher, the devolution of the English language is a pet peeve of mine. Much of this phenomenon comes from a lack of proper education and laziness.

I was taught to speak and write proper English aka "the King's English". Ebonics, street slang and such are abhorrent to me.

For me, the worst part is reading a news article, because most of my time is spent mentally editing and correcting to proper English... so much so that it distracts from the message of the article. I have actually thrown away books I was reading, because the author could not write a coherent sentence or use proper syntax. Yuck!
scotpens wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I was taught to speak and write proper English aka "the King's English". Ebonics, street slang and such are abhorrent to me.
It's a matter of the right level of usage. Street slang is appropriate for . . . well, the street. But you don't use slang or "ebonics" or netspeak abbreviations in a research paper.

And I still say there's no such word as "alot," dammit.
Thoroughly agree with both of you. I too have made a career out of reading, writing and editing the English language, and it sometimes physically hurts me to see the mistakes people make.

Genuine flubs are fine. Dialectic variations are fine. Socio-cultural variations are fine. Blatant wrongness because of a lack of education (for which I blame the schools) or a general lack of give-a-shit (for which I blame the individual) is not fine.

When other people write for a living, and don't know the difference between it's and its, or their and there, it's simply unacceptable. But then I suppose I shouldn't complain, or else I wouldn't have a job that pays me to correct them.

And yes, I did read this through eight times before posting.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote