View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 06:46 AM   #451
Vice Admiral
Re: What are you reading?

I finished Tanya Huff's The Wild Ways the other day (I found the first novel, The Enchantment Emporium, more satisfying but would definitely recommend both to any Huff fans, or indeed any fan of the urban fantasy subgenre).

To follow that, I started The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi on Sunday. I'm finding it hard-going after having read two Tanya Huff books back-to-back - I'm about a third of the way through, and the main plot seems to have just started to kick in. There's a lot of world- and character-building in the first third of the book. But according to the Wikipedia page about the book, I'm not the only person to have found the first third to be extremely dense.

I can definitely see the influence Charlie Stross' writing has had on Rajaniemi, from the first-person-present point-of-view to the overall cyberpunk/Singularity/posthuman feel of the plot and the characters. (Charlie's blurb, on the front cover, includes, "Hard to admit, but I think he's better at this stuff than I am." )

And any book whose first line is, "As always, before the warmind and I shoot each other, I try to make small talk," is by definition needing to be read.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote