View Single Post
Old April 25 2013, 05:35 AM   #65
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

MacLeod wrote: View Post
As for English itslef it does love to borrow words from other languages.
What language did it borrow "itslef" from? (Sorry, couldn't resist. Of course, this means I will probably make a typo myself...)

But yes, you're right. There's a quotation I often see printed on T-shirts about this topic. I get annoyed when I see it, though, not because the quotation is inaccurate or incorrect, but because it's misattributed, and the person who said it originally never gets the credit he deserves (or the money from the T-shirt sales):

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

-- James Nicoll

Ironically, he originally misspelled "rifle" as "riffle". Oh, and one of the main reasons I'm annoyed that he doesn't get credit is because he's a friend of nearly 25 years... I was in a theatre troupe with him while I was at university, and I happen to think that someone as brilliant as James should get credit for his brilliance. (Just in case anyone was wondering why that annoyed me.)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote