View Single Post
Old April 24 2013, 10:48 PM   #464
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Brit wrote: View Post
Taya, prove he is sentient, prove anyone is sentient. You see what you want to see, and it is colored by your experience. What makes you wrong is your instance that everyone believe as you do. And you don't know me, you've never wanted to know me, so keep your assessments of me to your self and stick to the conversation topic. And bottom line the only thing you can consider is property because every other way of looking at this is emotional.
Didn't I already cover the legal precident regarding proving sentience? From TNG's "Measure of a Man"

"It sits there looking at me, and I don't know what it is. This case has dealt with metaphysics, with questions best left to saints and philosphers. I am neither competent, nor qualified, to answer those. I've got to make a ruling - to try to speak to the future. Is Data a machine? Yes. Is he the property of Starfleet? No. We've all been dancing around the basic issue: does Data have a soul? I don't know that he has. I don't know that I have! But I have got to give him the freedom to explore that question himself. It is the ruling of this court that Lieutenant Commander Data has the freedom to choose."

The relevant is in bold.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote