View Single Post
Old April 24 2013, 09:57 PM   #32
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

A week???

That's the first I've heard this "general rule," and frankly it sounds terrible.
Yep, that's really a sufficient amount, and leads to much better health. I'm coming at this strictly from the science, as I just had a lamb burger last weekend, so I love some yummy meat, but red meat does damage the heart, and vegetarians are generally overall much more healthy, have lower rates of heart disease and cancer, and live longer than meat-eaters. Really, a serving of meat every other day is a good general rule, and it's not difficult to follow.
This is why diet is always a funny subject for me. I literally eat meat with every single meal. If a meal doesn't contain meat, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. One serving every other day would probably kill me. I eat roughly 5-6 servings of meat on a daily basis.

I'm also one of the healthiest people that I know.
Do we have to bring up again how long it takes you to take a shit?

Seriously, though, I think you'd find cutting down on meat easier than you think.

Diet is such an interesting topic to discuss because you will get so many varied responses about what is "healthy." There are the vegetarians that never eat meat. I know a lot of people on the Paleo Diet that eat lots of meat and green veggies and swear they're the healthiest they've ever been. There's people that only eat egg whites because yolks cause high cholesterol (a "fact" that is totally not true). Other people refuse to eat dairy because "no other mammal drinks milk after they're babies." Such a funny topic.
I do agree with you that diet is very personal, and that it is annoying and stupid the way so many people think they know the best way for everyone else to eat (usually related to extreme diets or stupid fad diets like the recent and idiotic "paleo" craze). However, the OP asked for some good general advice, and I think that is what I gave. For someone trying to improve their health, cutting down on meat intake, eating more vegetables and fruits, and preparing food instead of buying prepackaged is good general advice.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote