View Single Post
Old April 24 2013, 06:47 PM   #38
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here’s How to Do It

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here's How to Do It: One Trekkie’s Proposal

Basically put, the author wants a gay character in the next Star Trek movie, or for Mr. Sulu to come out (or even Chekov or Scott.)

Personally, although I think that the franchise needs GLBT characters, I don't think that this movie and the next one are the best places to do it; only a TV show can pull that off and have the time to do it well enough. I also think that the writer is putting way too much on the shoulders of the production team to accomplish this, simply because it's a possibly blockbuster movie based on a popular franchise.

But that's just me; does anybody else have any thoughts about this?
I have said for years they should have a gay character and not make a big deal about it. For instance, do the marriage scene and storyline from "Balance of Terror" only have them be a gay couple. Star Trek should at least mention it because it's not the 1960s anymore and it seems to me that everyone is straight.