View Single Post
Old April 24 2013, 01:56 PM   #106
horatio83
Commodore

Re: why is there no more talk of a new star trek tv series?

I have only seen the one Twilight episode with Shatner and the creature in the plane and considered it to be fairly bad. About The Outer Limits, I actually liked the 90s series quite a lot as a teenager and without having seen the original series I guess they are of roughly equal quality. But all these series are fairly rooted in their time. TOS is a total 60s and the new The Outer Limits is a total 90s show which prevents them from becoming timeless classics.

My point was rather that cinema seems to be in decline nowadays. Of course there are still good moviemakers and in indie cinema you can find many gems but there isn't another Hitchcock or Kurosawa on the horizon.
But on the other hand a lot of creative energy seems to flow into television. Game of Thrones has been mentioned and the best TV show ever, The Wire, is also an HBO product. Television is no more the little brother of cinema, they are on equal footing nowadays. No idea whether this shift from cinema to TV will continue though.