View Single Post
Old April 24 2013, 06:10 AM   #6
t_smitts
Commander

Re: Commander Sela's insanely stupid plan to conquer Vulcan

xvicente wrote: View Post
3 ships full of soldiers -- to conquer an entire planet, in the heart of the Federation?

Let's say all the Spock hologram smokescreen worked as intended. Then it would be what? 2000 soldiers against one planetful of half stubborn pacifists (it would go like "you are conquered!" "no I'm not" much like Spock's "since you will kill us anyway I choose not to cooperate"), half lirpa yielding crazy ponfarring green blooded hobgoblins.

And those flimsy invader ships blew up with one shot each from the warbird. The only way that invasion would last more than a few minutes is if the entire planet Vulcan has not one defensive weapon.

Probably they don't sice they are pacifists, so there is no gun to seize and defend the new romulan colony from the Federation counter attack.

Good going, Sela.
Where do people get this idea that Vulcans are all pacifists? Was Spock a pacifist? Was Tuvok (a starship's chief of security) a pacifist? Was Captain Solok from "Take Me Out to the Holosuite"? Was Sakonna from "The Maquis"? Was the Saratoga's captain?

Yes, Surak, as we saw him in "The Savage Curtain" was clearly a pacifist (and bear in mind that was Spock's perception of Surak, not necessarily exactly who he was, as we saw with Kahless), but that doesn't mean the entire race is bound to dealing with an invasion force Ghandi-style.

(Oh, great, now I'm picturing Ghandi doing that viral video dance).

Marsden wrote: View Post
Well, Sela did say that they weren't enough to outright conquer Vulcan, but they would be a dangerous presence that would be hard to wipe out. Imagine setting up a 2000 strong terrorist cell in a nation, that's not easy to get rid of. As to the ships blowing up easily, they were old Vulcan freighters and merchant ships that were unshielded. They were depending on subterfuge, not outright invasion.

And, I hate to say it, but Sela's existence is illogical. Yar died with the Armus killing her. But she wasn't killed in the offshoot timeline created by Enterprise C not finishing it's job, but then went back into the "main" timeline, so there were two Yars in to different places at the same time? Nevermind.
You can apparently have a character from an alternate future take a one-way trip to the past and not necessarily directly harm the life of their younger self, even if they come into contact. "Endgame" did it, and I believe it happened in a movie that Abrams guy directed.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote