View Single Post
Old April 24 2013, 02:16 AM   #184
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?

trevanian wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post

Gotta love it. Dissenting views are treated like lone nuts, and I'm sure this post will be considered sour grapes. So much for the art of conversation. Good goin', grape nuts.
No one is stopping you from watching TOS on Betamax, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD or Blu-ray disc with the original effects...
You guys keep going at it from the viewer point of view, like you're entitled to something different, that to keep your interest the product needs to be altered.

I ain't coming from that direction. Even as a dedicated viewer of TREK and BOND, I don't feel that I am entitled to demand alterations to what they've done (except maybe to put an apology on every Bond flick after Timothy Dalton's efforts and to sell a version of Trek09 that comes with Red Matter for easy self-immolation of feature film.)

(forgive me for being lighthearted , I'm in a pretty good mood right now, I just read a synopsis of the new Trek movie and my wife and I have been having a good laugh over it. To that other poster who was telling me I should take a stress pill or some other HAL-like bit of joyjoyspeak, I should say, See, you were right! I am happier now. When crap lives down to your expectations, you can only shrug or laugh or write a review.)

ANYWAYS ... I see the reworkings of TOS-r as trashing the work of the original artists, plain & simple. And just because the original remains as an option does NOTHING to address the fact that the work is being messed with. Just because Terry Gilliam's version of BRAZIL is available doesn't offset the damage done by the TV airings of Sid Sheinberg's version of the film, which is, to be polite, a total fucking disgrace.
That's your opinion. Fortunately, since I also have a voice, and money, I can request to see something different, and the nice people who own the property can say "Sure! we can see how far this goes!"

Now, you don't have to like it, but it harms you in no way, and it does nothing to the original work. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see something from a different perspective. When you enshrine something, it becomes static, and over time it can become too sacred to touch, and when that happens, it's time to change things.

If art stays static, it begins to lose meaning. Updating it, refreshing it, showing it in a new light can bring others to enjoy it instead of passing it by and letting it fade into history. The original works are still available. There is nothing to fear. Change isn't always bad.

Quite frankly, Star Trek is a wonderful television show, but it is still a television show, and subject to reinterpretations and updates. It isn't the Mona Lisa, it's Kirk kissing a half naked green alien and ripping his shirt. Doesn't make it any less enjoyable and meaningful in it's way, but it doesn't make it the Christ of the Sacred Heart, either.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote