View Single Post
Old April 23 2013, 09:17 PM   #38
ConRefit79
Captain

Re: U.S. air show cancels plans to reenact atomic bombing of Japan

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
It's not as stupid of an idea as it sounds, and it is part of our history. I don't think they should do it, but people need to understand that the Japanese were pure evil. It's not like "Americans are bad, Japanese didn't deserve it", they deserved it, we saved millions of lives from not having to invade and killing everything that moves on Japan's main island.
No nation of millions is "pure evil." That's the kind of absolutist rhetoric we were fighting against. I'm on record here as supporting the a-bombings, but it is not something to celebrate.
I would not say they were pure evil, but there was a mind set that death was better than the dishonor of surrender. I've been to Saipan and seen where the Japanese civilians threw themselves, men, women and children, off a cliff. They did this rather than allowing themselves to be captured by US forces. I've read and heard how fierce the battles to take Okinawa were. So I believe invading the mainland would have cost more lives than the Atomic bombings.

I do think it is necessary to remind people so we don't repeat the mistakes of the past(appeasement). Perhaps this airshow can pass on some history to younger people who otherwise may not care listen. Some truths are ugly and insensitive. But the Japanese started the war with us. And they need to remember that fact. So we should not hide it to spare their feelings.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote