View Single Post
Old April 23 2013, 12:22 PM   #99
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Best female Star Trek Cast?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
DS9's the only real competition. I might go with DS9 just cause I really like Kira and I think they just had a better grasp on how to combine femininity with toughness.
DS9 did have the best female cast. Kira had a great arc through the series and has to be the most kick-ass character in Trek.

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
best actress? Nana Visitor as Kira, no contest. She was given a great role and completely made it her own. Such a traumatized character, with so many levels to her. Just watch her in "Second Skin" or "Duet". 24-carat gold performance.
Kira was a great character and Ms Visitor was brilliant in bringing her to life. Those episodes just show how damn good she was, dealing with her own personal struggle after the Occupation.

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
But with 7 of 9 we're back to the general Barbie doll scheme, looks-wise. I can guess what the scriptwriters were thinking: what's the wet dream of every computer nerd? oh yeah - a Borg with boobs!!
Even with Kira they had to stick her in something as close to a catsuit as they could get, after starting the character off in the more sensible-looking two-piece uniform that in my opinion looked a lot better. It's not that I don't love to see a bit of figure in a good-looking woman - but I like to take the characters seriously. People who are meant to be professional counsellors and militia officers walking around in what are basically bodystockings - it just doesn't give the right impression.
Seven's outfit never said "take me seriously as a member of the crew. Kira's S4-6 uniform was a radical departure from her original (especially how no other Bajoran wore that version), but I liked the lack of shoulderpads. It looked easier to move in and for a woman of action like Kira she kind of needs it. Her S7 colonel uniform (and hairdo) I really liked though.