View Single Post
Old April 23 2013, 09:38 AM   #124
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: The ENT and Melakon

1:21 - Detained

TV Blurb: Sam leaps into a starship captain trapped in a concentration camp, and his interrogator looks just like Al.

Archer and Mayweather are imprisoned "for their own protection" with Suliban inmates who are not part of the Cabal. Teleplay by Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong; Story by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Directed by David Livingston.

I never watched Quantum Leap as the premise didn't interest me, so I miss the nostalgia aspect of this episode. But by the time of Enterprise, I already knew of Scott Bakula and particularly guest Dean Stockwell's work through other productions. I had seen some of Stockwell's films from when he was a child, like The Green Years, The Boy With Green Hair, The Happy Years, and from his later tv and film work, including an especially memorable performance crooning into a worklamp in Blue Velvet. So even as a non QL fan, it's fun to see these two guys working together.

Travis gets some good scenes involving racism and prejudice mostly in scenes with Vorta vet Christopher Shea as a pessimistic Suliban prisoner. Another Vorta vet, Dennis Christopher, becomes Archer's Suliban ally in planning an escape. David Kagen is effective as the sadistic guard that usually shows up in prison movies.

The story draws attention to the internment of Japanese-Americans into euphemistic relocation camps during WWII. This event was so glossed over in American history texts when I was in high school (late 1960s), it was a genuine shock to me when I saw the 1976 television film "Farewell to Manzanar". Mike Sussman is on record (at Memory Alpha) as not fully comfortable with the morality play aspect of the episode, and I understand his concerns. But if news of Manzanar surprised me 30 years after the fact, I think it's a story that needs to be told and must be told, so that all of us remember.

Next: Vox Sola