Thread: Is it wrong...
View Single Post
Old April 23 2013, 06:47 AM   #22
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: Is is wrong...

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I don't care about celebrating my birthday either. Although it's always nice to get a cake.

eta: happy birthday.
Thank you. I'm not one for cake. I'm more of a pie fan myself.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You can try hiding out in your home Runner, but the Sandmen are gonna get you eventually. Nice avatar, BTW. I'm assuming that means you're turning 30?

No, there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want to do.

Happy birthday.
Thank you. Yup, I turned thirty.

Brent wrote: View Post
No it's not wrong

On my birthday last year I wanted the same, my sister et all wanted to take me out to dinner, I told them I didn't feel like going anywhere and just wanted to stay home and eat ice cream and watch a movie, guess what I did, I stayed home. I didn't want to be bothered, I didn't' want to go anywhere, and I didn't want anyone to call me. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.
Agreed.

Sparky wrote: View Post
All I want is to have my birthday be an ordinary day. I don't want cards, gifts etc. I find it amusing that other people think the day of my birth is actually worth acknowledging, let alone celebrating. It's one out of 365 or so days, whats the big deal?
I hate getting gifts most of the time. My mother always insists on getting me a few cards though. Usually they are the kind that play sound when you open them. She usually gets one every year which I actually like. I got an oversized one with vader on the front that plays the imperial march when opened. My favorite one has a line from Spock talking about irritating being a human emotion.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post

I'm getting the best of both worlds. My birthday party will be Saturday, when I will get a big birthday breakfast and all my presents. My actual birthday will be on Wednesday, when I will sit around the shanty, mama, with some Twisted Tea and a good book or two. Maybe a DVD. Very likely a stroll in the Blue Hills or something.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You can try hiding out in your home Runner, but the Sandmen are gonna get you eventually. Nice avatar, BTW. I'm assuming that means you're turning 30?
Depends on if he's a fan of the book or the movie. But I'm guessing 30.
indeed, 30 it is.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
No it's not wrong.

teacake wrote: View Post
On my birthday I want TONS of PRESENTS!! And some very expensive drinks. And green tea cake.

I'm easy to please.
I'm never happy with my gifts. Back when I was around ten or so I issued a family wide policy that i wanted cash instead of presents for graduation (we were considering ourselves Jehovah's Whitnesses back then so graduation part each year was like a combined Christmas and birthday for us kids). Pulled in about $400 that year. Blew most of it at my aunts county fair the next day. Bought three hand blown glass/crystal star trek figurines. Two enterprises and a Klingon battle cruiser.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Is it wrong that for my birthday today, all I want is to sleep late, do nothing, and not be bothered/annoyed by anyone?
Then what are you doing here?
TBBS doesn't annoy me.

Rhaven wrote: View Post
In any case, happy birthday. Since it is your day, do nothing if that's what you want.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
If that's what you want you should do that, Data. You aren't obligated to do something just because it's your birthday. However, you only turn 30 once and I threw a party when I did.
Personally, I prefer to do something nice on my birthday, even if I do it by myself, e.g. going to the cinema.

Anyway, happy birthday!
Thanks.

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Is it wrong that for my birthday today, all I want is to sleep late, do nothing, and not be bothered/annoyed by anyone?
Naah, it's only human. Nice try at fishing for congrats, btw
Happy new year!
Too early in the season to do any fishing. Thanks.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
It's not wrong but on the other hand, if sleeping and doing nothing is your idea of a good time, maybe it would be interesting to check if you are suffering from depression.
Na. Just dealt with a lot of stress in the last year and looking to have a bit of a one staycation. And an excuse to be a total lazy ass for a day.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Happy Birthday.
Thanks.

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Data, those sound like signs of clinical depression. Seek help, my friend.

Now that I am older and a widower, I'd give anything to do more than sit home on my birthday. The most I get are long distance calls from kids and grandkids. Enjoy those "annoying" interruptions while you can.

Next December 14, I am making plans to volunteer at the homeless shelter and meal kitchen. It will be a good way to give back to others in need and make my birthday special again. Hopefully, my health will be improved enough to do it.
I live with my family. See them every day. Not clinical depression, but thanks.

scotpens wrote: View Post
"Is is wrong"?

That depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

(Not relevant to anyone's birthday, but I miss the randy old bugger.)
Posting in the wee hours of the AM, never a good thing.

Melakon wrote: View Post
For one birthday, I stopped by a bar/restaurant chain (Chili's, I think).
The bartender said, "What'll you have?"
I said, "It's my birthday, I just hit 40, give me an old fashioned."
I guess he liked the comeback, or maybe it was policy, but the drink was free. He got twice the regular cost of the drink as a tip.
Not a big drinker, but that sounds like fun. I might have to do that this week.

If I missed quoting anyone, thanks for the replies.