Old April 23 2013, 05:59 AM   #51
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Why I Wrote A Mad Men Episode With Negroes, by Erika Alexander

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
IndyJones wrote: View Post
But, beyond that, can't we give Matt Weiner the benefit of the doubt in assuming that this was a deliberate choice with no malicious intent?
Malicious intent -- or even conscious intent -- doesn't have to come into play at all, though. A creator can be unintentionally ethnocentric. It's human nature to think in terms of your own group, whatever group that may be -- and thus it is easy to find yourself, if you are white, only writing about white people, completely without meaning to.
My point was that I believe it to have been deliberate, but not malicious. You're positing that it was accidental.

I believe, based on how Weiner's slowly increased the diversity as the show has gone on, that it *was* deliberate. It's one way he's showing the changing of the times. It's one of the reasons why he chose that time period, and that group of people.
I think you and Sci are talking about two different things.

You seem to be talking about an in-story depiction of racial and cultural integration of the the ad firm. The subject of the discussion is whether or not or why there have not been stories featuring blacks and how those stories might be presented.The gradual integration of the firm is a storyline that could move forward simultaneously and separately from other stories involving blacks, Jews, women, etc.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote