View Single Post
Old April 23 2013, 03:42 AM   #432
Christopher
Writer

Re: Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Well, the novels have established that there was a lieutenant commander's rank in Earth Starfleet at least after the timeframe of the series. But I see no reason to retcon the existence of one during the series. I mean, when are we ever going to see another story set during the series' timeframe? The novels are far beyond that timeframe now, there are no anthologies in the foreseeable future, and nobody's bothered to get the ENT comics license. It's just not something that's ever going to come up, outside of fanfic.

And I don't see why it's desirable. Why insist that Earth Starfleet do everything exactly the same way the UFP Starfleet does? Heck, tons of fans have complained about how it wasn't different enough as it was. But one of the differences that the creators clearly intended it to have was a much simpler rank structure. I see no reason to ignore that conscious change.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote