View Single Post
Old April 23 2013, 12:14 AM   #50
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: Why is the Federation so dumb?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Actually, Ron Moore wrote The Pegasus. Although he did write two DS9 episodes to feature Section 31, it was created by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle with input from Ira Steven Behr.
Thank you for taking the time to give credit where credit is due. Sadly I do not have so much of it as to research and attribute every reference. So again, your efforts are much appreciated.

Anwar wrote: View Post
Like I said, we don't know what the Romulans themselves gave up in return. Probably they lost just as much an advantage to their side.
Well, we do know what the Romulans didn't have to give up ... cloaking technology.

We do know the Romulans, without provocation, had used cloaking technology before to enter Federation space in order to destroy several Federation outposts and murder untold numbers of its citizens.

We do know the Romulans and Klingons entered into a loose alliance whereby the Klingons obtained cloaking technology and the Romulans got warp technolgy and ship designs, therefore, of the big 3 the Federation was the only one without a cloaking device.

We also know it prevented the Federation from developing ways of pro-actively being able to detect cloaked ships.

We also know cloaking technology could have non-military applications.

And could we infer that the Federation had lifted that ban on cloak technology because the Federation was using it in Insurrection (I can't recall if that was adressed in the film or they just used it without mention).

So on several levels it was idiotic and dangerous for the Federation to approve such a unliterally binding element.

And, as you say, we don't know if any concessions by the Romulans were made because it was never mentioned, therefore, we cannot infer or give credit that any were.