View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Re: When did camouflage become acceptable attire?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I think the point at which camouflage was actually intended TO camouflage was surpassed at warp speed many moons ago. Nobody, not even the military, wears it for that purpose, do they?
Yeah, they do, though the current patterns vary widely in effectiveness (with the USMC MARPAT digital patterns being very effective) and are actually a source of conflict between the various branches at times.

What might appear to be striking out in the open can often conceal the wearer quite well in its intended environment. Plus, it's not just about blending in color-wise with the background, though obviously that's important. It's also about breaking up the shape of the person or vehicle you're trying to conceal so it doesn't look like the outline of a person or tank or ship. Take for instance Dazzle Camouflage on ships in WWI and WWII. But even seemingly strange colors or bright lights can serve as effective visual camouflage in certain situations.

Obviously in the day and age of widespread RADAR and thermal sensors visual camo had less effectiveness on vehicles and people, but against the type of technologically unsophisticated adversaries we usually wind up facing these days, they still have an important place.

Plus, it's very important in suburban warfare when facing off against (literal) armchair generals:

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote