View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 10:41 PM   #25
Locutus of Bored
The Author of All Your Pain

Re: When did camouflage become acceptable attire?

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
^ I deleted a couple of them.

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
It's the people wearing pristine, clean camo that's got me baffled. "Put on your finest camo, we're going out to eat! Wooo!" This says to me that they've not done any hunting, and they're wearing it because they think it's cool.

But, the event that happened Saturday was some of the area schools were having their proms. And some boys came in wearing black tuxedos with CAMOUFLAGE VESTS AND TIES. WTF? When did this become acceptable? When did this become cool? But, most importantly, WHY did this become cool?
Wearing it to dinner at a steakhouse is a tad odd, especially if you're not in the military or a hunter. Wearing it as formal wear to a prom is bizarre and sounds like something out of a Jeff Foxworthy routine.

However, like Gebirg said, back in the 80s, camo pants and shorts were fairly popular with teens, especially us punks and slackers. Everything comes back around again.

That's the thing. It's not just a pair of camo pants or shorts. Their whole outfits are camo.
From their overalls to their shirts and hats. All pristine camo, no sign of any hunting. I couldn't tell you how many tables I've waited on where parties of three or more are decked out in camouflage like they're the goddamn Predator.

Hmm... maybe next time I get a group like that, I should go to the table, wonder aloud why the hostess set menus down at a clearly empty table, shrug, gather the menus and walk away
I know what you were saying about the full camo outfits in the restaurant. I was just making a separate point about how wearing camo has gone in and out of style over time since I was in school.

I wouldn't gather the menus, but the customers might find it funny if you jokingly pretended not to be able to see them sitting at the table briefly. Well, I'd find it funny if the waiter did that to me, at least. Can't speak for everyone, though.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote