Thread: Animated Series
View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 10:10 PM   #64
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Animated Series

hux wrote: View Post
Should i buy the animated series or is it an unnecessary addition to my collection (i notice there isn't a section on here for discussing the animnated series) but some of it clearly is canon such as Kirks middle name and i think there's a few facts about Vulcan that came from the series

I'm tempted because many see it as the 4th season to the original series and the fact that most of the cast came back to do the voices for it, makes me think it's probably worth having

I know the animation isn't that brilliant but are the stories any good

thoughts
TAS is a logical continuation of TOS with Very intelligently written stories, but don't expect modern state-of-the-art animation from an old weekly 70s cartoon...

I personally find it integral, as these half hour adventures were generally better written than anything E ever gave us, and amazingly managed to cram them into so little time...

Alan Dean Foster novelized all 22 of them in his 10-book "Log" series which you should checkout, actually expanding 4 of them into full-length books on their own... Lots of great stuff in there, and particularly in Foster's later episodes, a great deal of emphasis is placed on such things as FJ's Enterprise blueprints and even the Star Fleet Technical Manual is mentioned in-passing in a story or two... You might want to read them first, as they tend to be better than the rushed episodes themselves...

Treknically speaking, many of the designs introduced in TAS have been blueprinted, and rather thoroughly at times such as the Cargo Drone from "More Tribbles, More Troubles" (no less than 2 blueprint packs at that, not to mention historical and class listings in manuals), and the U.S.S. Huron from "Pirates of Orion" (though with some liberties taken on her design in the Independence Class Armed Freighter booklet of general plans)... We also get a variety of unique shuttlecraft like the Aquashuttle, long-range shuttle, and heavily armored shuttle...
Foster is also instrumental in naming the Klingon battlecruiser the Klolode class in one book, mentioning such things as the use of transporters for security purposes (somewhat expanded upon in TNG), and giving us The first Klingon words ever published in book form (though dismissed and forgotten by later fandom!)...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote