View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 08:56 PM   #158
Marsden
Captain

Re: Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

Lenny Nurdbol wrote:
Unfortunately, come circa 1990 when Paramound began to consolidate its hold, Tech Fandom was kind of outlawed... These are the loons who ranted "Unofficial! Unofficial" over and over again, steering fans away (which is why, in fact, the C word was invented in relation to Star Trek)... You could say that everything ever established was wiped clean as though it never existed, since TPTB weren't making money from it... So new tech guys came in, and reinvented everything new from the bottom up, virtually ignoring dozens upon dozens of these blueprints and manuals...

Thanks, I remember that time. I think it was actually a little earlier when they realized that they could make money off of it again and they stopped all non profit making ventures that didn't pay them. It's their right to make a profit, but if they didn't have the abandonment mentality "Star Trek is dead, do what you want with it" in the early 70s like Gene did when he let FJ make the book in the first place so many people wouldn't have invested so much into it. Or even if they did, it would have been clearly something else, but there was nothing else so the fan project became very real to them. I hate when they throw all of the backstories out they don't like and declare they never happened. That's why Star Trek is an artifact to me. It will not continue, it is done. The owners of the name can use it on new stuff but it isn't it, it's something new using it's name. I love that it happened and I rewatch my 3 seasons and my animated season, but that's the end.