View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 08:30 PM   #14
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Microsoft Word is worse than Hitler

Obviously the OP is "tongue in cheek" about the infamous dictator reference, but yeah... I would've picked a different expression.

Microsoft Word is very capable, but if there's one thing I have to say about it, it's not user friendly. There are SO MANY different places where settings are tucked away, and NOT in an intuitive manner. Word tries to "anticipate" certain formatting intentions and sometimes gets mixed up. Worst comes to worse, you can switch everything back to default. But yeah... giving how I've used Word for well over 12 years, I'm NOT at all impressed with how it has evolved. The most confounding change for me was from Office 2003 to Office 2007. The UI was SIGNIFICANTLY changed... and NOT for the better. It's like a new project manager was put in place and decided to redesign everything to suit their own preferences.

Frankly, given the ridiculous cost of the MS Office Suite, I'd just assume go with Open Office. It's a very competent FREE word processing and spreadsheet productivity suite that has pretty much everything you need, including reasonably decent compatibility with older Office versions.