View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 07:08 PM   #156
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

Marsden wrote: View Post
Wow, thanks! I used to love that stuff, actually I still do, I just haven't seen much of it anymore.
It's a matter of one building upon another and another, logically extrapolating and expanding the Treknical mythos...

For instance, the replacement ships for the 4 missing Constitution class cruisers were built as Endeavor class heavy cruisers (based upon taking the U.S.S. Endeavor, NCC-1716 a Bonhomme Richard class aside, and incorporating some unique changes which made her a class leader)... This is represented by the ship with chunky engine nacelle pylons based on the Star Trek Phase II prototype... MK IX/04 (the three previous classes being MK IX/I thru III)...

Sometimes the upgraded Enterprise isn't called an Enterprise class but Constitution (II) which is a misnomer... Originally the U.S.S. Constitution (NCC-1700) was to be the "new technology" lead ship for the movie series but, according to Files of SFC, she was damaged upon encountering the first K'T'Inga class Klingon battlecruiser, so her upgrade was delayed, and the Enterprise was the first ship--otherwise Constitution II would have been a more apt designation for the refitted class... Tech Fandom represents the upgraded U.S.S. Constitution as an early ST-TMP protyotype and several older Constitutions and Bonhomme Richards were refitted to these specs, while others were refitted to the Enterprise class specs... How were they chosen? Oldest ships get upgraded first... Oldest ships being generally represented by the highest NCC number (usually)... Another proto-TMP design is represented by the Tikopai class, finally placed back in production, looking much like the ST-TMP design but with less developed upper and lower sensor sensor domes and modules... All Tikopai class ships (NCC-1800 to 1832) are new build ships considered somwhat "cheaper" than building more of the Enterprise class... In the late 2280's, a new state-of-the-art heavy cruiser design was integrated into the same basic hull of the Enterprise class (since Star Fleet's R&D designers said she couldn't be beat for overall performance) and was to be christened the U.S.S. Levant...but then ST IV occurred and following the early loss of the Enterprise, she was renamed and renumbered 1701-A, and her class changed to Enterprise (II), with the few remaining older Enterprise class ships later authorized to be upgraded to match her specs, and I believe an additional 6 or 7 newbuilds completed this class which lasted to through the start of the next century...

Unfortunately, come circa 1990 when Paramound began to consolidate its hold, Tech Fandom was kind of outlawed... These are the loons who ranted "Unofficial! Unofficial" over and over again, steering fans away (which is why, in fact, the C word was invented in relation to Star Trek)... You could say that everything ever established was wiped clean as though it never existed, since TPTB weren't making money from it... So new tech guys came in, and reinvented everything new from the bottom up, virtually ignoring dozens upon dozens of these blueprints and manuals...

Only a few brave souls like myself fully appreciate the intricacy involved and the flawless logic applied to Star Fleet's shipbuilding scheme... Todays fans just say there's one and only one heavy cruiser class and leave it at that, believing that The Star Trek Encyclopedia holds The sum total of all Trek Knowledge...

Last edited by Lenny Nurdbol; April 22 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Supplemental
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote