View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 05:05 PM   #154
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

Marsden wrote: View Post
Lenny, did you see this:

http://culttvman.com/main/?p=3665

I liked it, had a lot of stuf about the models.

BTW, do you have a link to some of the info about this stuff?

That's why it's Treknically called the Achernar configuration of the Enterprise: her final incarnation prior to the Enterprise Class refit... It's not the version presented in the pilots (Constitution); it's not the one presented in the series (Bonhomme Richard); it's a Fusion of these into one...plus a bit of TAS, too!
I'd really like to see it, I've heard about those classes, but I didn't know the Enerprise herself was included in there. I love those kind of things. I know there was a refit to put some phasers on the bottom of the engineering hull and I heard about the main warp drives upgraded the first time but not the second time. It also seems the phasers themselves were upgraded as they fired "bursts" in most of the first season then beams in later seasons, (unless that was just a setting).
Links? Checkout the Star Trek LCARS Database for one http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...nts-main2.html (though it's far from incomplete, has lots of substandard scans of substandard sources, and even those are incomplete)... The main sources, outside of the Star Fleet Technical Manual by FJ, include the USS Enterprise Heavy Cruiser Evolution Blueprints (I Think they are in that Database link--if they are, GET THEM NOW!), the Federation Reference Series (Incomplete scans in that link, leaving out, among other things Lots and Lots of text pages), Ships of the Star Fleet Volume One (not to be confused with Jackill's or a Jackass calendar, which both borrow the name), and various other blueprint packs and publications like Starship Design, which operate within the same "universe" and use the same methodology, classes, and registries... Generally anything from Star Station Aurora, MastercoM Data Center, and Star Fleet Printing Office; all of which originated in the 1980s...

But let me just go back to the source materials and explain the logical behind it all... If you delve into the Technical Manual and turn to the TO titled Heavy Cruiser Class you'll see many ships listed and their registries... The first block represents the original Constitution class starships (and as previously noted somewhere around here, the Constellation and Republic have oddball registries because they were testbed upgrades of older classes), these original ships are numbered 1700 thru 1711... The next block of ships below it are designated Bonhomme Richard class and represent the next generation of heavy cruisers, an improved Constitution class if you will... They are numbered 1712 thru 1727, and the names come from a memo published in The Making of Star Trek for supplemental starship class names... So they are all basically Bird-picked in that regard... You may recognize some of these names: Excelsior, Saratoga, and Defiance... The first two are the original namesakes which were later lost Prior to the movie era, and their names were carried on by later ships... The "Defiance" is a typo of the Defiant lost in "The Tholian Web"--this is because it was originally named Defiance in TMOST (and Treklore says she was originally to be christened Defiance but later changed to Defiant)...
So what's the USS Defiant doing being listed as a Bonhomme Richard class starship if she's clearly Constitution class? The whole methodology behind Tech Fandom's interpretation is that these Bonhomme Richard class starships represent the series version of the Enterprise, while the Constitution class listed above represents the Enterprise as she appeared in the pilot episodes... That is, the older Constitutions were lated upgraded to the specs of the U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard which represents the production model most seen in TOS, so they are therefore all Constitution Class, from a certain point of view, and the Defiant is the only seen "new build" ship Built that way... The next block of 4 ships were later built as replacements for ships lost in the line of duty (built later, during the movie series as Endeavor class--based upon the rejected Star Trek Phase II series design), which I haven't the time to get into now... The largest block of ships which take up most of the page are the Achernar and Tikopai classes--they take up most of the page because they were initially ordered or projected at the time the TO was generated... The number of Achernar class starships was cut to a dozen odd hulls, while still retaining the first dozen or so names and NCCs, and the Tikopai class was delayed a decade as Star Fleet upgraded their older starships, made cutbacks, and introduced various new designs splitting the upgrade of heavy cruisers into various classes based off of proto-STTMP designs (all this is outlined and illustrated in the above sources)... This development was spawned by the breakthrough in linear warp drive (movie era nacelles!) which made higher speeds possible and required "new technology" upgrades everywhere (some manuals refer to the movie era ships as Class I-B or generally Starship II)... Anyway, to avoid any more confusion, various Constitutions and Bonhomme Richards were further upgraded to match the U.S.S. Achernar (NCC-1732) specs which represented the last great "old tech" upgrade of heavy cruisers which represents the Enterprise in her final TAS incarnation which fills in the remaining 5-year mission... This is Treknically what is represented in FJ's Booklet of General Plans...

So basically, to summarize:
Constitution Class - The Enterprise as she appeared in the pilot episodes... (Bloated bridge module, spired nacelles of the PB-31 design, less detail overall, less lighting, etc.)
Bonhomme Richard Class - The Enterprise as she appeared in the series... (Smaller bridge, more details like viewports, PB-32 nacelles with space warp generator "globes" astern, detailed hangar bay, phasers instead of laser banks, etc.)
Achernar Class - The Enterprise as she appeared in TAS (Post-TOS) up until being upgraded to the Enterprise Class configuration of ST-TMP... (Very visible deflector grid lines, visible phaser emplacements--and 6 of them, upper primary hull torpedo banks, flattened bridge, curved secondary hull, PB-47 engines for higher acceleration, etc)
And they are all a part of the "Constitution Group" so to speak, and can generally all be called Constitution Class by the layman...

I know this can be very confusing, which is why I generally don't like to discuss it much, especially in this day and age when everything is presented very simple, cut and dry... You know: Constitution is every ship in TOS, period, case-closed, with no discussion over the details and how the ships evolved...

So basically 80s fans took FJ's work to the next level... And they're still climbing...

Last edited by Lenny Nurdbol; April 22 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typos and supplements...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote