View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 04:12 PM   #47
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x12 "The Royale"

sadsquid wrote: View Post
Star Trek does paint a positive view of the future (thankfully), but does it try to say that we got past every problem? Absolutely not.
Gene thought it should.

Michael Piller wrote:
Roddenberry was adamant that Twenty-Fourth Century man would evolve past the petty emotional turmoil that gets in the way of our happiness today. “In the Twenty-Fourth Century, no one grieves.* Death is accepted as part of life. All the problems of mankind have been solved,” he said. “Earth is a paradise.”
You think Deep Space Nine would have been the series it was if Gene was still around? I doubt that very much.

sadsquid wrote: View Post
To say that the writers should have known exactly which problems we will be able to solve in the future (whether technologically, socially, morally or even mathematically), is unrealistic. Science Fiction movies/shows set in the future get things wrong. It just happens.
I'm not saying the writers should have known that Fermat's theorem would have been solved, I'm just saying that they should have used something that was a bit more relevant to the story at hand. I would have been happy if Picard mentioned how there was an alien species that copied details from an Earth Book and built their entire civilization around it just like in this episode. Picard would than discuss how despite humans and aliens having spent years trying to understand one another, you can't just base your findings on one source alone, like the aliens did with that novel. Picard could have contemplated that if they had just brought a different book, or a whole variety of books that better reflected humanity as a whole, we probably would be friends with the aliens already. That would have been a more interesting discussion than simply brushing everything under the rug and ending with "Like Fermat's theorem, it's a puzzle we may never solve."
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote