View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 04:08 PM   #68
Tribble puncher
Commander

Re: why is there no more talk of a new star trek tv series?

DCR wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
DCR wrote: View Post
The thing is, a new series doesn't have to build off ENT. If anything it will either build off the movies (most likely) or off the TNG-era continuity (unlikely but possible). In either case it will be able to be connected to previous success rather than failure.

Remember, TOS was a network failure, but it still managed to spawn the rest of the franchise. The cancellation of ENT after four seasons, just like the cancellation of TOS after three, and TAS after two seasons is not enough to consider the franchise as a whole, a failure on TV. In fact, I would say that it's the most successful SF franchise in the history of TV.
The thing is... the TV networks don't care about what area of Trek continuity a new series is building off of. They care about ratings. The first thing they'll look at is the last series, Enterprise, and point out their abysmal ratings and ask why they should fund another expensive sci-fi show when they can bring in some college students, get them drunk, and make a new reality series for the fraction of the cost that's bound to get better ratings.
No, they really aren't going to care about Enterprise unless they're going to do a direct sequel (which I think is unlikely).

What they're far more likely to do is look at the existing franchise (movies, books, comics, secondary video market) and ask themselves, "how can we get more money out of this?"

That's what's going to trigger any new TV series, the desire to extract more money from the franchise. They already know that Star Trek is a perennial money maker, because people are still throwing down money for it. Pocket Books has been publishing TOS novels for the last 34 years!

Once they figure out the right financial formula, they'll jump on a new TV series because they know it has the potential to keep making money for decades if they do it right. There's nothing happening right now because they don't want to interfere with the current movies, but that doesn't mean there won't be in the future.

Enterprise's cancellation is not going to have any effect on the possibility of a future Trek series.

I just don't see a new series anytime soon, and IF there is a new series, I don't see it resembling anything that's been put out up to this point. I believe we will get one or two new Abrams films, and maybe 1080p remasters of all the existing series, repackaged a couple of more times before dvd's and blu rays go the way of the dodo bird, A few more books, a few more DST toys, and that's it really, it'll be like it was in the 70's again, kinda underground. We will credit Star Trek with things sure, but people's perception of what the future will be like is changing. I don't see these latest films as a resurgence that will power Star Trek for another 50 years. The masses will have forgotten these movies within five years (and that's if the next film is good). I believe that trek is at it's creative sunset, these next couple of movies I honestly believe will be it for new trek. Just my opinion.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote