View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 02:48 PM   #149
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
You can get any hardcore Treknical guru to answer this one, but I'd might as well step in...

What pisses us first-generation Treknical fans off most is the amount of respect given to that wall chart in "Court Martial" which consists of nothing more than random numbers of ships apparently being serviced at that moment at Starbase 11...
Sorry to be disagreeable, but...

First, as someone who has served in or in support of the US military (including serving on a US Navy ship twice) and NASA (including supporting 13 shuttle missions) for nearly 30 years, I understand about how the Navy numbers its hulls and NASA numbered their shuttles. Frankly I don't see how those things have anything to do with my original point.

Also, you might want to watch "Court Martial" again, and when you do you'll see the chart contains 10 registry numbers and is titled "STAR SHIP STATUS." It's not titled "Starbase 11 Repair Status." Seems to me that indicates those registry numbers belong to 10 of the 12 starships (amazingly, if you add the Constellation's and Republic's registry numbers to that list you have 12 canonical numbers).

Finally, given a choice of trusting Greg Jein's conjecture vs. Franz Joseph's, there is no choice in my mind. Franz Joseph is just another fan while GJ has genuine Star Trek gravitas. The successors to Roddenberry must agree with me as they've acknowledged his numbering scheme as canon.
Genuine huh... Because he's alive, well, and a name-dropper... OK...

Let's talk "Court Martial"...
Been a while but I recall just numbers listed on a table of "% Completed" and we're supposed to believe that all these ships are Constitution Class because that's all Star Fleet has at it's disposal? More shocking, is that they are ALL undergoing repairs and none are at the 100% mark (again, from memory, maybe 1 or 2?)... How can anyone conclude that these are all Constitution class heavy cruisers? If they are, then Star Fleet is in deep shit! The Federation is undefended!

More logically, how I and other FJ-supporters Interpret that chart, is that these are the vessels currently at Starbase 11 undergoing repairs... They are a wide range of ships, some Constitution class, some just heavy cruisers, others of entirely different classes and types...

Next time I take my car for repairs at Sears or wherever and I see a posted roster of other vehicles undergoing repairs, I don't make the assumption that they're from Sears repair shops nationwide...

The "Court Martial" NCC numbers are all over the place, which should be a clue by itself... Again, I'm talking about how real ship series are built and numbered, but of course if you believe that NCCs are random numbers, you can do anything you like and call them anything you want... You don't even have to invent sequential numbers if you're inventing your own fan starship class... Isn't that convenient for some people...

Regardless, Tech Fandom, Star Fleet Battles, and even Shane Johnson went with FJ's numbers because they are logically sequential and realistic... I also believe that at least one of the model kits in the 70s also advised FJ's numbers...but it's been a long time and I'm old and not as sharp as I used to be...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote