View Single Post
Old April 22 2013, 01:12 AM   #52
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: The Official "Oblivion" Review Thread

I saw it earlier today. I want to like it more than I actually do.

The positives were it was just a gorgeous film. I liked the design of the ships and technology quite a bit. Tom Cruise is ageless. He's made for these kind of roles and he puts in more solid work. The cast for the most part is good, but of course that trends a bit toward the cliche.

I thought the pacing of the film was slow. I wish there had been more action, but it took its time getting to its major twists. I wasn't expecting those twists so that was welcome. Looking back though I think the trailer gave a way a bit too much, which robbed some of the reveals of their punch.

Overall, a nice looking sci-fi film that holds together storywise much better than Prometheus for example. That being said, because of its languid pacing and not enough pow moments I doubt it's a film that I will see again.

I wonder how Oblivion would do if it had been tossed in the middle of the summer block busters? It looks like a block buster but ultimately the story doesn't feel that way. It aims for something a bit more emotional or intimate, not sure it fully reaches it for me though.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote